Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Something to ponder.

So I'm studying for my New Testament test (I believe it's on the four gospels.. not really sure though).  I was reading the many parables that Jesus taught and this one stuck out to me quite a bit.  So here it is:  (Luke 11: 5-13) taken from the Message)

5-6Then he said, "Imagine what would happen if you went to a friend in the middle of the night and said, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread. An old friend traveling through just showed up, and I don't have a thing on hand.'

 7"The friend answers from his bed, 'Don't bother me. The door's locked; my children are all down for the night; I can't get up to give you anything.'

 8"But let me tell you, even if he won't get up because he's a friend, if you stand your ground, knocking and waking all the neighbors, he'll finally get up and get you whatever you need.

 9"Here's what I'm saying: 

   Ask and you'll get; 
   Seek and you'll find; 
   Knock and the door will open.

 10-13"Don't bargain with God. Be direct. Ask for what you need. This is not a cat-and-mouse, hide-and-seek game we're in. If your little boy asks for a serving of fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate? If your little girl asks for an egg, do you trick her with a spider? As bad as you are, you wouldn't think of such a thing—you're at least decent to your own children. And don't you think the Father who conceived you in love will give the Holy Spirit when you ask him?"

I often find myself "bargaining" with God.  I don't know why but sometimes I feel like I have to sugar coat things.  But really I guess He just wants us to be straight up with Him.  He knows our hearts and He knows what we want.  So why wouldn't we just ask for what we need?  I'll leave you with that.   

I've been posting wayyy too many blogs lately.   Insane.   

"How deep is that river?"  

2 comments:

  1. "What I'm saying is, if you walk around with your nose in the air, you're going to end up flat on your face. But if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself." Luke 14:11 <3

    ReplyDelete